Media buying is a delicate art and it’s important to know its dos and don’t dos to succeed in affiliate marketing. That’s why it was about time to have another knowledge sharing session with our Senior Advertiser Managers Jimmy Dewerdt and Keijo Suurkivi. Their extensive knowledge about affiliate marketing will help you identify right from wrong. Discover what media buyers should know to stay ahead of the competition in 2020.
#1 The must-have ad format: Interstitial
Our publishers most often choose between Pop-Under and Interstitial ads. But they seldom both placements at the same time as it may be too intrusive for the users. Thus, advertisers should create campaigns using both of those formats to cover a wider inventory and not miss any traffic opportunities. Interstitial ads are suitable for a large variety of campaign verticals, we especially recommend it for gambling and sweepstakes.
Adcash offers two types of Interstitial ads:
- banner image (ratio 6:5)
- iframe: we load the landing page in an iframe window which makes it an efficient full-screen ad format. There are some technical restrictions, so get in touch with our team ([email protected]) to add iframe Interstitial creative to your Advanced campaigns.
#2 Key to affiliate marketing success: the right targeting
Adcash has many different targeting options and it has an ocean of opportunities for advertisers. There are various ways how you can approach targeting depending on what you want to achieve with affiliate marketing. We suggest approaching the traffic by targeting different angles to get the most out of your campaigns. So, to have the most efficient ad setup, create different test campaigns for the same offer. That will help you discover how to best reach your target audience.
- Website category targeting with a high CPM bid. Let’s say you sell footballs and know they would sell best on a sports site then target those kinds of websites! If you want your well-matching offer to be one of the firsts shown on that site then you also need to have a high bid for that to happen.
- User interest targeting at average CPM bid or actual CPA Target goal (e.g. $2). The user interest database finds excellent matches for your campaigns, so you need to bid with full power to get the best results.
- Run across all other sources at 75% of the actual CPA Target goal (e.g. $1.50). With this third step, you run your campaign across all other sources that you haven’t covered before, it blacklists everything that was mentioned before. For lowering risks, run them at 75% because the traffic is convertible but this step is for finding additional converting sources that are a little bit further from the core targeting.
The idea is to run at the full power on the core targeting (e.g. website category, user interest). While being cautious when going further from the core targeting (e.g. run across all sources). Also, remember to keep your campaigns separate, one campaign for desktop and another one for the mobile web.
#3 Don’t buy the same traffic twice
With Adcash Advanced campaign setup you’re able to exclude or include traffic segments through targeting options. Logically, you wouldn’t want to display your offer to the same users across test campaigns with different ad setups.
In order to buy the impression at a competitive price and avoid buying the same traffic twice, we recommend blacklisting the details that you whitelist in your other campaigns. Here’s a gambling example:
- For campaign A – whitelist the website category “gambling”
- Then for campaign B – whitelist user interest “gambling”
- Finally for campaign C – blacklist website category “gambling” and user interest “gambling”.
That way you only buy the traffic once at a competitive price. Plus, have a killer affiliate marketing strategy at the same time!
#4 Avoid spending all your media buying budget on big sources
Do big sources often eat up all of your campaign budgets? Our zone capping tool gives you control over the incoming traffic and lets you limit the maximum number of impressions per source.
You have the possibility to use zone capping to explore the traffic, especially when having a broad CPM Pop-Under campaign. Basically your campaign will receive a maximum of X impressions per traffic source within 24 hours. This means you will hit a maximum number of traffic sources without spending most of your budget on websites with large volumes. In addition, it will give you plenty of time to optimize your affiliate marketing campaign along the way. You should keep a balance between your daily budget and zone capping (1,000 impressions is the minimum).
#5 Check our volumes & your ad setup with the inventory forecast tool
You might be wondering how big are Adcash’s ad volumes with specific targeting options. Well, the inventory forecast tool will tell you that! Simply insert your targeting options and our tool will calculate the volumes for you. Then you can see if you need to modify your settings to get the result you want. This tool also shows whether all the settings are in sync or in conflict and limiting your reach. We always try to create tools that would make affiliate marketing easier for our clients.
An advertiser might wonder, what are the volumes for Pop-Under ads on Android traffic in Brazil? By using the inventory forecast, we find out that the answer is 352,885 impressions. This figure is always based on the previous day’s data according to your targeting. In this case, Brazil + Pop-Under + Android. Please note that the sky’s the limit! It’s possible to get more traffic from our SSP-s via programmatic depending on your CPM bid. The inventory forecast tool is available for all targeting options except URL keyword targeting.
#6 Stand out from the affiliate marketing crowd
Avoid using generic ad creatives that blend into the background. The same goes for landing pages that are used by the majority of players in the market. Think about the ad or landing page that recently caught your eye. What was so special about it? Approach your target audience like you would like to be approached! Combine smart writing with cool imagery, so your clients know instantly why they’d want to buy your product or use your service. Attract more users with your uniqueness.
We hope that these affiliate marketing tips were useful for you and gave you a better understanding of the Adcash platform. If you still haven’t read our previous media buying blog, check it out here.
Now, off you go to create these wildly successful ad campaigns! Cheerio.